REQUIREMENTS & APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS (please read carefully)
Candidates who do not meet all the requirements below or cannot attend for the entire period should not apply. However, if you have a conflict with final exam schedules, please contact us for advice.
- Program dates: May 18th - July 24th 2020 (Arrival May 17th, Departure July 25th)
- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a degree program (part-time or full-time) leading to a baccalaureate or associates degree.
- Applicants must be entering their sophomore, junior or senior year in fall 2020.
- Applicants should have declared a life science, chemistry, computer science, bioinformatics, or related major.
- Participants must be able to work at least 40 hours per week for the entire 10-week program, and attend some mandatory weekend events. Students should not be enrolled in classes during the program; this is a full-time position.
For the 2020 summer program, we are participating in a common application pilot study conducted by NSF.
Please visit https://www.nsfreu.org/ for instructions of how to apply. Click on the “Applicants” tab and go to “General Info” to begin your application. Preparing an application to the Plant Genomics @ MSU REU program using the common application tool will allow you to use the same application information to apply to other REU sites.
**Applications for the summer 2020 program will open December 2nd and will close on February 10th, 2020
The common application will ask for the following:
- Personal information
- Demographic information
- College enrollment information
- Personal Statement (500 words)
- A copy of your CV
- Answers to two program specific questions
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
Please note, letters of recommendation should be written by a current or former professor, teacher, mentor, or employer; someone who can comment on your academic achievements, your work ethic, and your potential to be successful in a research internship. Please remember to ask for these recommendation letters well in advance of the program deadline to give your letter writers plenty of time to prepare them.
Please contact us with any questions or call 517-884-6959